The barista profession has undergone some significant changes over the years. While the basics of coffee and beverage preparation remain fundamental, there have been developments in several aspects of the profession.
- Coffee culture: In recent years, there has been an explosion in coffee culture. People have become more discerning about their espresso and coffee drinks, demanding greater quality and knowledge from baristas. This has led to an increased focus on the selection of coffee varieties, proper roasting and grinding, and the use of advanced extraction techniques.
- Specialization: Many baristas specialize in specific areas of the beverage industry. For example, there are baristas dedicated to the preparation of high-quality coffee, baristas who focus on creating craft cocktails, or baristas who are experts in tea preparation. This level of specialization has allowed professionals to explore and deepen their specific passion and offer experiences that are more refined to customers.
- Technological innovations: The advent of new technologies has also affected the barista profession. Coffee machines have become increasingly sophisticated, with programmable functions and precise temperature and pressure controls. Some baristas also use tools such as precision scales and refractometers to ensure greater accuracy and consistency in beverage preparation.
In addition to this today, more than in the past at the center of bartender’s work is the customer experience. It is not only about making a good drink, but also about creating a welcoming and engaging atmosphere in the bar. Baristas have become key figures in creating a memorable experience by offering advice, telling stories about the coffee or drinks they make, and customizing drinks to customers’ individual preferences.
Finally, working as a barista makes training and certifications have become increasingly important for baristas. There are organizations and programs that offer in-depth training in coffee preparation, tasting techniques, and bar management. These certifications can help baristas stand out in the industry and increase their professional opportunities.
What are the technological innovations in the bar world?
In the world of bars, there have been several technological innovations that have helped improve operational efficiency, beverage quality, and the overall customer experience. Here are some of the major technological innovations in the bar industry:
- Advanced coffee machines: Coffee machines have become increasingly sophisticated, with programmable functions, precise temperature and pressure controls, and advanced extraction systems. Some coffee machines also allow settings to be customized to individual customer preferences, enabling greater precision and consistency in beverage preparation.
- Cocktail Mixing Machines: Automatic cocktail mixing machines have been developed to precisely and evenly dose and mix ingredients. These machines reduce cocktail preparation time and ensure greater consistency in the drinks served.
- Automated dispensing systems: Automated dispensing systems enable bartenders to accurately measure the ingredients needed to prepare complex cocktails. These systems reduce dosing errors and ensure greater uniformity in the drinks served.
These are important innovations for the bartender of the future, compounded by the development of new tools and equipment that facilitate the processing of ingredients for cocktail making. For example, there are automatic stirrers, high-speed blenders, and devices for spherification and foaming. On the bar management side, there are specific applications and software on the market today for managing bar operations, including stock management, inventory, menu creation, sales tracking, and payment management. These tools simplify and automate many processes, allowing bartenders to focus more on service and the customer experience.
Being a bartender today means being able to combine passion for the craft and new technologies in a way that satisfies an increasingly demanding clientele and surprises them with a thousand ways to prepare drinks ranging from the classic cup of espresso to the most elaborate cocktail. All that remains is to continue to train and follow fashions and trends in the industry in order to establish oneself as an excellent barista and win over customers’ palates, thanks in part to quality products such as Portioli roasting coffee.